PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 excessive rotation speed - a hard act to follow
Old 27th Dec 2014, 09:25
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chesty, your example has the benefit of hindsight. If on the other hand you departed with a heavy plane and it was a blocked tube that you diagnosed, somehow I highly doubt you'd be happy to fly through the ITCZ on your way to South America. You'd be looking to land ASAP and not before dumping $100,000 worth of fuel and probably feeling silly due to that. I think there is an unjustified amount of attention being paid to go-mindedness. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it and totally agree with the concept but considering the maths and theory clears you all the way up to V1, 10-20kts is sufficient for go-mindedness.

On top of all, consider that on an Airbus, the first time you make the ASI crosscheck is really the first you get to realise if there's a disagreement. What are we saying then that we would NEVER reject due to speed problems because by 100-110Kts its too late??? If we cannot stop from those kinds of speeds safely on 10,000ft of asphalt even when wet, something is wrong with our training, the aircraft or even the regulations which allow for performance criteria and runway design that cannot support RTOs from such speeds.