PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 182 competitors?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2014, 03:16
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends what you're going to use it for. I find the 182 preferable to the PA-28-235. The 182 has a wider and taller cabin and two doors. It's easier to ingress and egress. Those are personal preferences, but I also liked the Dakota too!

I didn't much appreciate the performance of the turbo Dakota though. (PA-28-200T) Long flat climbs with higher than I like cyl temps plague this model as they did the turbo Arrow and Mooney 231. It's TSIO-360 Connie just isn't up to the task as installed in this airframe. (much better in the turbo Senecas) The Lyc O-540 is much better suited and does exceptionally well in the 182RG as well as the straight Dakota. I haven't flown the newer straight 182 with the injected Lyc, but I'll bet it's a beauty too.

So yes the Dakota is about as close to parity with the later model 182 as you'll get in an aluminum semi monocoque constructed airplane. If one is willing to consider steel tube and fabric construction then look into the Maule airplanes with 235 hp Lycs too.

westhawk