PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI on a PPL realistic?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2014, 18:56
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Flipski

I think it is also important to note that the personal flying skills and knowledge that you must have at the start of your FI training are unrelated to the license you hold.

My personal experience is that in 25 years of flight instruction, I have yet to meet a 200 hr PPL that was ready to start an FI course. Everyone would have required significant additional dual instruction to meet the base standard to commence FI training.

Your goal is certainly achievable I would just like to suggest that your budget should include that additional pre-course training. I recommend you start with an initial skills assessment by a senior instructor which will then allow you to create and cost a plan on how you are going to get from here to there.

I hope readers do not take my comments his as a slight to PPL pilots. It is simply a reflection of what I have seen. I should also note that despite the additional training they have received, most 200 hr CPL's are also not ready to start an FI course and require some level of remedial dual training to refine their handling skills.