PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self fly Aircraft Hire in Madagascar/Mozambique?
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 09:53
CentreOfExcellence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Katamorono

Cool map bro. We're all very impressed. The point of your massive amount of experience in Africa is?

You are an arrogant, condescending know it all with just enough knowledge to be dangerous when crudely doling out advice. Congratulations on your trust fund baby status and having the cojones and youthful exuberance to take risks. Come back and play again when you have 1% of the experience the members of this board have.

Myself and most others on this forum speak from years of professional experience in Africa. Your attitude is hazardous at best and a slap in the face to those who have given wise advice to the OP. To state that I am scared of my own shadow is not only laughable, but also foolish conjecture from an immature, insecure little man. My "scared" shadow has been cast in every country on this continent.

The words of advice from board members come from "actual" experience. Personally-have been arrested, mobbed, robbed, extorted and have had to declare Pan-Pan and Mayday on numerous occasions. None of them are regular occurrences. Deviate to an unplanned destination without landing/overflight clearance and see what happens. Spend enough time here and things will happen. Many places do not have the infrastructure and status to handle even basic aviation issues. Every time I start the engines, I remember that I only know what I don't know.

I have also taken sick children for life saving medical treatment, had wounded soldiers die en-route to trauma care, carried heads of state and other dignitaries, seen majestic scenery and wildlife found nowhere else, made friends across the "length and breadth" and have had countless cultural experiences. Africa is an amazing place to fly as a pilot AND passenger. Most on here can say the same and posting a map of your epic journey impresses no one here. Please save it for Facebook and Instagram where someone might actually be impressed.

Sincere congratulations on your latest successful journey. It's good that you have enough common sense to plan ahead. You are also blessed to have not had any problems.

A C182 is not a 206 or 208, both of which require type ratings in Africa and are almost assuredly unobtanium status for so many reasons that you clearly don't get. Even if one were successful at obtaining a self-fly 6+ passenger aircraft and airframe insurance, what are the odds that life insurance and personal liability would not be excluded? The answer: about 1:1. I have to source special market life insurance as a licensed, experienced professional. It is doubtful that any company would insure a private pilot, with little or no experience - no matter the license held and total hours - to fly a self-hire aircraft with 5+ passengers.

I support the recommendation that one with the financial wherewithal to self-fly a light aircraft in Africa would still be better off chartering, especially when wanting to fly with friends and family. As CavortingCheetah wisely indicated, a chartered aircraft PIC just might be willing to share the flight controls for a little chop chop once away from prying eyes. After all, this is Africa.