PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 07:20
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Fion101
Glad you enjoyed it...next time you are in Skerries call in...have quite a few more stories that I can't publish..
The Title originates from a colleague who although from a posh background would be the last one to trust especially in an airliner.
I help shift his yacht across the Bay of Biscay one November..I did the night watch as I wouldn't trust him to stay awake (he had already slept FLYING across the Bay whilst driving a Vanguard full of pax)....The following evening before my watch we hit a dense fog bank as we approached the Channel shipping lanes..I was woken by our fog horn to discover that we were carrying every navigation light. I took over and turned everything off...the visibility was about 10 yards and the commercial traffic we were trying to dodge wouldn't be able to see anything closer than 1km due to the cut off angles of the superstructure.
Unless we were spotted on radar our only chance ...a slim one at that ...was to protect our night vision and sit in the cockpit wearing life jackets.
rgds Alan