PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Research PhD at 30? (well, mid 30s by the time I'm done!)
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 00:52
nosefirsteverytime

PPRuNe Engineering Dept Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Research PhD at 30? (well, mid 30s by the time I'm done!)

Hi guys,
Thought I'd drop in and ask. Some of you might remember me as a teenager dropping in here before this social media lark came about. Well, the years have passed, and after 7 years working off debts & keeping afloat, I'm on my 2 year gap in Canada. (Vancouver to be exact.) Turned 30 last November, and after a long think, I've had a thought.

Ever since my first days here, there's always been an aspect of aerodynamics that I think has been woefully understudied. It's always been something I've looked at & thought "why haven't they done....?", shrugged my shoulders and got on with making rent. Looking at the various transport modes here in Van, the thought came up again, and I thought "why not look into it yourself?".

So, I have an idea for a Research topic. Academically, I'm a little stumped. I have a two year HND in Mech Engineering, which my post-college job had nothing to do with, which means I'm a little worse than a fresh graduate going back to school. I attempted to get the Ord Degree in Manufacturing, but I ran out of funds & couldn't return. Took a 6 month airport job that turned into 7 years.

I realise to get to PhD would need at the minimum an Ordinary Degree, and my Alma Mater I think would take me on to finish my Degree. It might take one year, or three, but I'd make it in. Also I think I've a fairly rockstar project idea that would stand well in the PhD application.

Now, my questions.

Am I being realistic to think I can get onto a PhD program after either (a) one year getting the ordinary with an amazing project or (b) after a ho hum run-of-the-mill top mark 3 years getting a masters?

My visa finishes in Canada in June 2016. I'm planning to start back to college in my Alma Mater in Sept 2016. What can I do between now & then to improve my shot at getting this degree, adn getting onto that PhD programme?

This PhD will be done in the UK. I hope to get access to good wind tunnels for it (depending on the terms of reference of course). where should I aply to when the time comes?

And lastly, am I off my head?

Thanks guys.