PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Happened to Lower Class E?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 20:54
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dick, with all due respect, we can't get comms on the ground let alone SSR or ADSB close to the ground in some major ports. Fix that and hey presto.

If I taxi at Bundy, ATC have my code and details all ready to go, before I even call them. Why? Because the controller can see me doing 8 knots on the apron and when I call him/her, they can hear me loud and clear.

Travel a little bit down the coast towards Brisbane and the exact opposite is true, with no surveillance under 3-4000 feet. And this is with the latest Garmin goodies too.

So how would I blast out of YHBA or dozens of other ports in and around the J curve with a scenario like that? Or do you propose we self separate in E prior to getting a clearance for the airspace we are already in?

And Dick, no need to lecture me on the USA......I am seriously thinking of moving there, should have done it when the dollar was stronger. Their systems and FAA beat our lot hands down every day. You can read my rankings about closing CASA and ATSB and subcontracting to the Kiwis and NTSB. I need no convincing. But given what we have to work with here, and the damned strict liability etc you will not easily follow the Americans.

Several mates of mine are ATCs and some participate or watch these threads, they would love to be able to provide the service but to do that requires a lot more than some coloured lines on a chart. That needs fixing first.

I look forward to a considered reply.