PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's it like to fly where you are?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 17:51
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm fortunate that I mainly fly both in Germany and UK - have also flown further afield across Europe but these two countries really highlight the difference between GA possibilities.

I like the fact that, in Germany, I can take off, contact FIS and 99.999% of the time receive a traffic service, can fly from one end of Germany to the other with a minimum of frequency changes whereas in UK, it's all about finding a LARS unit which is manned and even if it is, the chances are you'll be fobbed off with a Basic Service - which is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Not only that, there are huge differences in consistency - I flew over Wales on Saturday, passing through Bristol and Cardiff LARS, speaking with both I was refused traffic service due to controller workload (although there were around 3 aircraft on their frequencies).

That in itself is ok, but this is where the inconsistency was highlighted - I was fortunate that I saw a DA40 in the Bristol area, was maybe 100 feet higher, 1 mile away when I saw it - no warning from Bristol (well, basic service - what do you expect) yet when talking with Cardiff, they were updating me about an SR 20 descending through clouds to 2800 feet (I was at 2300 feet). Anyone used to receiving traffic information on a Basic service would be shocked to find no warning received from another LARS unit. In my mind, Cardiff should offer proper a full traffic service, not traffic warnings on a basic service, or Bristol should also offer the same. For two adjacent LARS units to offer differing service levels under the same (announced) Service is unacceptable.

I also have to question the value of contacting (e.g.) Bristol LARS if all they are going to do is offer no service at all, in fact I'm pretty sure people make it a point of flying beneath their controlled airspace and don't bother listening to them - what's the point? This actually makes the controller's job harder because he has no idea of their intentions..... and all because the controller, who is looking after a smaller area than Langen, Bremen or Munich Information do, can't be bothered to offer a service.

If things are going to be standardised, I'd hope that the UK had two or three radar based FIS, rather than multiple LARS units which are either too busy (really?), not manned at the weekend (military units) or which leaves huge holes in the coverage. I do look out for traffic but having Radar based controllers looking after you makes flying in Germany so much more enjoyable.

The facilities in UK and Germany are pretty much similar, landing fees in Germany are lower and with the Landegutscheinheft, sometimes free. Having said that, I dislike the fact that the German AIPs need to be paid for - although the AIPs do include a recommended circuit around the airfield - the number of times I have flown to UK and seen GA flying Bomber circuits is just ridiculous.

So if it were down to me, I would take the best of those two countries - the FIS of Germany, the free AIPs in UK and the published circuits from Germany - and I'd pretty much have my perfect location.....