PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 13:24
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxiway Alpha is the new one laid down when the new terminal was built and it links its stands and the 'old' apron stands to the runway 24 holding point. It now constitutes the preferred taxiway for all A319/320 movements.

Taxiway Bravo is the old cross runway 15/33 and links the 'old' and new aprons to runway 06/24 at a point about one-third its length from its north-east end. Its bearing surface has caused problems with A319s holding on it awaiting backtrack clearance for a 06 departure. It currently has an off-centre centreline (if you see what I mean) avoiding the problem area and is used for aircraft smaller than the A319 and that type also if necessary.

Taxiway Charlie runs across the 'old' apron from the new terminal and its bearing strength is suspect. A319/320 aircraft tend to avoid using it if at all possible although all other aircraft can use it as far as I know for clearing 24 after landing or backtracking for departures on 06.

I believe the plan is to rebuild Charlie and have a new taxiway to replace Bravo, but I'm not sure of the timescale exactly.