PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 11:13
Dusty4501

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return of G-AODA from Trinidad 1975

Re the query about the ship's name, whatever records may say, in this respect the entry is wrong. I have never forgotten the occasion, even down to its finest detail because the media was there too since re-assembling and flying a helicopter from the dock side was not an everyday event! Jim (Mac) Macaskill gave me the name, Linguist, as advised by Shipping. The Port Authority at the Manchester Shipping Canal directed me to where Linguist was berthed. In the hold, DA stank of rum since that was the ship's main cargo. After off-loading, Ken Bradley helped me spread the blades. On start up I had to do stop the Port fire service from extinguishing the huge flame from the exhaust as it cleared itself of inhibitor.

Indeed, Heli Taxi was the name before Iranian Helicopters. I did two tours there, '68 -'70 and '75 - '78. EP-HAK (Khorramshar WS.55/3, EP-HAM (AB204 Shiraz etc that 'died' on a beach near Bushehr and left there), EP-HBG (Shiraz etc B204B), 212 EP-HBM (BOC & got left behind) + Kharg's 212's & BOC's 206.

I was involved in the conversions of G-AYTK & G-AYNP ('70-'71) with Bob Potts, Dave Camp & Dave Barrow et al, then supervised their SAR conversions with Dave Camp (DC) for Manston. JD was hangar foreman. It was DC that recommended me to Mac & WBP for Manston, bless him! Kindest regards Dusty