PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engine failures
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 11:10
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad RA Aus are looking forward to a constructive role but I wouldn't be looking for any moral high ground in their past positions and actions in the Jabiru matter. I've already made some comments about the lack of publicly available statistical and other information for the recreational aviation consumer and, if RA Aus feel the ATSB anlaysis is flawed, they can put forward their own analysis. After all, if RA Aus has been doing its job, it has the best raw data available.

While I was mightily disappointed with the naivety and self-serving content of the Dec RA Aus letter to CASA, perhaps the dust has settled on the organizational musical chairs and there is a better future ahead. As a GA and RA Aus pilot I hope that's true, especially as the current arrangement gives RA Aus effective monopoly status in recreational licensing. Superficially, the RPL could be considered a challenge to that position but the RPL comes with enough strings attached to make the RA Aus path well worth preserving.

I have a lot of sympathy for the financial representations being made by RA Aus. If CASA expect them to run recreational aviation, there should be adequate funding provided for the job, without the reality or appearance of reliance on much industry sponsorship. In turn, I'd be keen to see more of any new funding, and my membership dollars, go on safety and technical functions of the organization. With any luck we've been through the nadir in those regards.

Last edited by tecman; 22nd Dec 2014 at 14:38.