PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 08:55
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strike the heart and join the chorus.

Shadow-on-Water; (like the handle) we are temporarily out of Choc frogs; here, have a lump of Christmas pud for a 'nice' point, well made. The problem those who need to denigrate the IOS have is that most of them cannot answer a simple question in response to the braggadocio; it goes like this " I have a wide range of experience, and 5999 hours". - "Oh aye – doing what, in what?" says I.

You won't know; at our humble, but great fun BRB last night the opposition darts team, had almost 50, 000 hours, current flight experience, across a fairly wide range of aircraft and 'operations'; but wait, there's more. Among the crew there were no less than three 'major' air safety oriented 'academic' publications, many years of negotiating both policy and procedure as check, test and chief pilot at local NAA and company level. One IRE/ TRE/ TRI, one senior check and two training captains. Not that they would ever say a word, no need to; you just know they are the real McCoy. (Can't shoot for shinola though, I never bought a beer all night). Yuk, yuk, yak......

I have bumped a couple of CASA 'airline' level fellahin who can hold their own in a discussion with this calibre of crew and they were worth listening to as they 'understood' what was required and 'understand the operational game. But; ye gods down in the weeds at GA and regional level; very few "FOI" have ever been 'chief pilot', not of a real outfit. Even less have ever written a policy, procedure or FCOM; not one from scratch, and most certainly not all of their own work. Not one which may have needed 'negotiating' through an acceptance procedure. It's a part of the problem, compliance with minimum standard only, nothing innovative or efficient will be countenanced; why?. Well simply a lack of 'real world' operational reality and experience. Have a look at the NFI doing Hoods old job; look at what's running 'international' then, turn your mind to South Australia and investigate the great international AOC rip off, or even Part 61. It is good Sirs, truly disgraceful.

Back in the day we respected and grudgingly admired our twice a year interlocutors, who pushed and shoved us into adopting a 'professional' outlook and learning 'grown up thinking'. These buggers nowadays can barely fly an aircraft; not without extensive 'how to do it' checklists and an FCOM to choke a horse. Many do not hold a professional level licence, not one that would get them hired anyway.

To get any change at ground level is difficult. Hell it's tough enough to get the Senate, Forsyth and the TSBC major recommendations even onto the front burner, let alone get an examination of the impact the dross and leavings of industry have on 'operational excellence'. I could go on; but those who know, require no explanation and those who do not are quite happy with the status quo. Why waste wind.. The IOS, PAIN, the BRB are all very aware; getting the 'top level' message through, even with the inestimable Fawcett helping has been 'difficult'. Until there is a forum where the dishonest, dysfunctional, dyslexic and the inutile are forced to answer, confess, resign and repent; GA and regional are stuck with what is left standing; such as it is.

It's got nothing to with money Minister, there are those willing and able to 'assist', if only for national pride. But if the bridge has issues, it is unreasonable to expect the engine room to fix her up. Bring in Mike Smith; Mick Quinn or Greg Vaughan to help 'young' Skidmore:– I'll take LOA and work for any of them, so will my mates. It's fact you would have never before or will ever be likely to witness again, just how stellar and brilliant Australian aviation could become. Cheap, cheerful and most importantly – QUICK. Hopefully, mostly done, before the Yanks, on ICAO credit cards lob up. It is, your shout Minuscule; and it is - yours alone..

Selah....

Last edited by Kharon; 22nd Dec 2014 at 09:14.