PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kimberley crash 26th August 2014
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 08:22
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Again it's into a grey discussion we go.

Totally agree with rs;
Prior to 2012 in the UK all night flying was subject to IFR but then the regulations were changed following an EASA directive and night VFR flying has been permitted. Whilst the requirement includes "to be in sight of the surface" just what this means at night is hard to really define. Does it mean beneath you, or anywhere you can see something fixed - usually lights? And that can change quickly, with weather you can't often see, particularly as ground illumination becomes scanty. So night flying has plenty of scope for trouble when permitted under VFR.
It's nice being in sight of the surface, however is that the distant village lights twinkling or maybe it's the stars? Are the instruments too bright, is the iPad (other makes available) moving map/chart too bright, how much do we actually see outside flying night VFR? All well and good sitting in our armchairs, but throw in a little turbulence, a bit of weather, no moon, cockpit lighting and maybe a little bit of pressure and a distraction or two, and that in 'sight of the surface' wording becomes greyer and greyer. Of course we don't want more restrictions, however night VFR is a different kettle of fish to day VFR

Personally, despite having an autopilot with all the full IF fit, gucci couplings etc. if I can't see a discernible horizon en route, I'm not continuing. I'm fortunate that I'm in a position where I can easily say no, however I appreciate others aren't in the same fortunate position and this is where the problems begin.

I don't have a full solution, except the obvious, which is the costly & mainly prohibitive one of IR's. I'm not sure that restricting night flying to IR's is the route, however a limited IF course/training may be a safer and ££ better solution for most. As always, until an incident occurs I can't imagine changes.