PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach and landing speeds
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2003, 02:32
BEagle

Received 343 Likes on 119 Posts
We did some research and discovered that there had been some wrong teaching about the approach speeds at my RF. People had been told to use 65kt as a Vat, not an approach speed - and to add another 5 for gusty conditions over 15kt, plus yet another 5 if there were 3 or more PoB.

All of which is complete ! The correct approach speed for a Warrior at max weight in any condition is 63 kts APPROACH SPEED! There is no real 'Vat' - if you fly the correct approach speed, 'pointing and powering' all the way down, then flare correctly having closed the throttle it will land properly.

Since I reduced the speeds to 70mph (Cherokee) and 65 Kts (Warrior), we haven't, touch wood, had any noswheel damage. But if someone flies at 70K-80K, the out-of-trim force at the flare will be substantial. They probably won't be able to control the eventual landing very accurately and an untidy effort will result!

I've heard that the fast, flat 3 deg approach with an enormously long final used to be favoured by one of those schools which trained future airline pilots - to 'get them used to the aspect'. Bolleaux!!