PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2014, 11:03
Upland Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notes by Steve Hogarth (AKA Upland Goose) to the Friends of the Helicopter Museum.

"Delta Alpha goes to War !"

The Westland WS55 Series 3 Whirlwind G-AODA

"Delta Alpha, the "Duchess", had languished at Redhill for a number of years, inflicting her particular charms on a number of Command Course candidates, the cut and thrust of the commercial world a distant memory.
In 1980, Bristow Helicopters were approached to provide a capacious and economic aerial trials platform for the newly formed British Aerospace Dynamics, developing the multi-national "next generation" anti-tank missile. BAe Dynamics were hoping to win the important and lucrative guidance contract.

The Duchess, was selected as the platform and I was selected as the first trials pilot. Although I had flown the Whirlwind on my command course assessment in 1978, I had not needed to put it on my licence, as my first command had been low level survey work on the Bell 47 and the Bell 206 JetRanger.

The Duchess, Delta Alpha, was being heavily modified and having a new electronic tummy put in at BAe Stevenage.

It was 4 years to the day, of my first solo in the Hiller, that the High Chieftain of the Whirlwind clan, Stan Sollitt and I walked to the Whirlwind G-AYNP for my refamiliarisation and eventually my type rating.

Thankfully, it went well -- the Whirlwind charm lived on!

The BAe contract involved very low flying, all day, at 200 to 300 feet, in a 25 year old airframe. I had to be fully conversant with low-level engine failure procedures. The other Whirlwind expert, Paddy McCloughlin, ensured that I was ready -- I now really felt part of the clan.

Delta Alpha emerged from the workshops at Stevenage on the 9th June 1980 resplendent with a huge carbuncle (multi-faceted camera) on the starboard side".

"She then flew flawlessly for a number of years, with various pilots in UK and Europe, including 'Chippy' Stokes and Stan Ritchie and very much helped to develop the most advanced anti-tank missile guidance system known to man.

By this time, I had returned to the rough and tumble of the North Sea and the first Single Pilot IFR, offshore based, Bell 212 operation. The challenges were still coming, thick and fast!

I read recently of the "Whisper S-55s" over the Grand Canyon in the USA.

Why not over the lovely countryside of Britain?

The charm can still work -- I’m sure! I’ll be first in the queue"

As a life Member of the Friends of the Helicopter Museum I occasionally go to Weston-Super-Mare and am allowed to climb up the side of this wonderful helicopter. They also let me sit in my First Solo Hiller G-ASTP.

Great to read about these machines again. UG