PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part 61 IFR single pilot recency requirements
Old 21st Dec 2014, 06:59
eight10man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you can 'just fly the ILS', because who would be able to tell you dialled in the frequency.

I'm more interested in knowing whether you then legally log that approach to get your 90 days back up..?
But how I read the new Part 61 rules - because they've now left out the bit about IMC - you can't. Regardless of it being VMC..

In Europe (EASA-land) approach recency doesn't exist as far as I know. There I just do my Instrument Rating Proficiency Check (finally Australia starts using the same ICAO-nomenclature for these things) once a year, and all sorted for the next 12 months..
Because who cares whether you're recent: as long as you don't bust the tolerances set for that approach - MDA/DA, half scale deflection etc etc - and your licences and ratings are valid, it always seems better and safer to me to fly an instrument approach over anything visual..

PS: In general I always prefer to fly visual off course, but being 'forced' by a rule created 'by pencil pushers' to elect something less safe in marginal conditions seems backwards..!