PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What can we do? CASA ATPL
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2014, 04:29
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a lot of flying in NZ, which as we all know joined the modern world of aviation legislation in about 1997.

Was going to have to join an airline to get an ATPL, which was fine as I had no need of an ATPL in GA.

Moved to Oz (thanks, but no, I am an Australian citizen) and couldn't believe my luck that they would gift me an ATPL on the strength of all my Cessna experience. Only country in the world that required no multi-crew experience or test...

With that CV behind me - I too came through under the old system. Now I'm trapped in the archaic old boys' club of airline seniority, probably too old to move to the big boys despite my ATPL, yet not earning a particularly good income here.

It's all quite unfair really and I shall be starting a thread on PPRuNe shortly.

edit to add - like morno I recognise the excessively burdensome nature of some requirements. They really need to make it possible to self-fund a right-seat ATPL for the few who need it. That said, the ATPL system is designed for the needs of the 95%, for whom it works ok.