PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Happened to Lower Class E?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2014, 23:40
morno

Received 310 Likes on 116 Posts
Dick,
As Jaba stated, I flew in this lowered Class E from the day it opened until I departed for newer pastures.

I'll state some points:
  • Sure it was nice having an ATC to give you all that info, but at the end of the day, it was still "Cleared to leave controlled area via the RNAV" or whatever. What's the point in having an ATC guy 'control' you if the VFR who's only monitoring the CTAF (because they only have one working radio, or they're still tuned to Centre) is still going to do whatever he/she wants.
  • The hours that this lowered Class E operated was almost pointless. I asked the guy one night on a weekend if they controlled many aircraft over the weekend. "No, normally just you guys". So that might be 1 movement in the entire night.
  • Yes I get that you're talking about 24/7 control over uncontrolled aerodromes like Ballina, but I still don't see the point one bit of only having it controlled for some users, not others. Either you're in controlled airspace, or you're not. This stupid "Class E" rubbish of only controlling one type of user is pointless and dangerous.
  • How does my current operator avoid Class G and E? There are a couple of exceptions where it's not possible. However on descent into Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne in particular, we have to monitor all the steps to ensure we stay well away from them. Here's a better case to put to CASA. Why do we have E under C approaching major aerodromes that don't fit the profile of the current generation of aircraft?

I'd only support your case for approach services at busy aerodromes (Emerald is a classic case!) if the class of airspace was C only.

morno