PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long did it take for you to get your ppl
Old 20th Dec 2014, 12:32
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 months, and 52 hours for FW PPL. The weather was not the problem, being old enough for the student permit, then the PPL was my problem. So lots of solo XC's while I waited to be old enough for the PPL.

For my PPL(H), I took years, simply because in Canada it seems impossible for a PPL to rent a helicopter for solo flight, but a student pilot can. I knew this going in. So for years, I flew solo XC in the helicopter where I needed to go. If I have to take someone, I used my plane. But then one day, I was offed a type endorsement on the MD500 - much too good to pass up. So I had to finish my PPL(H) first, to have a license to endorse. I did it all, and have not flown a helicopter solo since!

But, as said by Heston, it's not the destination, it's the journey. Your PPL is a part of the journey to being a pilot - a milestone. It very certainly should not be your end objective, so just pace yourself, and get there well when the time is right. You can call yourself a Pilot when you have your PPL, but the greater wisdom will see a "pilot" as being just a little more than a wet ink PPL.