PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex military pilots formate A350s
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2014, 10:26
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The operative word in your phrase "I climb or descend slightly" is "slightly". In a large formation of large aircraft the "climb or descend" cannot be "slightly". If the airdrop formation is 1000 feet (or less) above the ground in a formation of four C-17s, the bottom C-17 ends up trying to "descend" below ground level. Nature has a nasty way of resolving the conflict between granite and aluminum. That's why in those formations, the formation turns are done flat.
But we aren't talking about tactical low level formations Ken, we are talking about flying close formation in large aircraft. Looking at your list of "I've flown close formation in" there doesn't appear to be any large aircraft, so I'm not sure you are qualified to comment. Flying close formation in any aircraft means the wing men manoeuvre in height in a turn and that doesn't matter whether you are in a fast jet, small multi or large multi - the techniques are the same! Take it from someone who has flown close formation against a large number of different types.

Oh and I have been the guy placed on the inside of a turn at low level and finding the surface a little closer than I would have wished. The lead was a Bear Foxtrot on that occasion though.