PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2014, 07:02
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRAatSTN

Far from criticizing you, I think you make some good points and I agree that at present SEN is very leisure focused. Where we might differ is that I still think SEN has potential for more mixed market routes and AMS is a very good example of that. The growth on that route has been phenomenal and an A320 is often used nowadays even with three rotations daily; that cannot all be leisure traffic. Where EZY went wrong with EDI and BFS was in offering just one daily rotation when those routes clearly need double dailies at least; something that was never tried. The KRK route seemed to perform well and I don't think it was pulled for performance reasons.

I also agree with LTNman that the public transport connections to SEN are a major drag on its ability to serve a wider market. The complacency that the SEN management has shown to the train situation defies belief so one can feel little sympathy for them. Recently on a Monday I arrived by train at 11:45 and around 40 pax disembarked from that one train.

Getting back to Stobart Air, I wonder if they may choose to focus on growing the four remaining routes in 2015 and not adding any new speculative destinations at the moment. I believe that Liege was in the frame at one time and perhaps Paderborn might be a candidate but I will be surprised if anything new is announced for a while. As for Carlisle I cannot see the runway there being ready for reliable scheduled services this side of 2016 so that's something for a future decision as well.