PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORSAIR Vs JAGUAR
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2014, 22:33
Davef68

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by kimono1950
BomberH ,very nice reply ! What I would like to understand is why, France and UK, whom had carriers ,did not choose the A-7, as it was less expensive and had an Air Force version too.
The UK had the Phantom and Buccaneer to do attack and strike duties. I beleive the A-7 was a candidate for the French when they cancelled the Jaguar M, but Super Etendard was chosen. Presumably 'Buy French' had a lot to do with that.

Against the Jaguar on land, I always thought the A-7 was more analogous to the role the RAF use dthe Harrier in - subsonic bomb truck rather than the supersonic interdiction/strike role of the Jaguar force at that time.

Vought's attempt to turn the A-7 back into a mud-moving F-8 might have been interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_YA-7F

Re the Mirage F1 - it was initially designed as a fighter, and was developed as an attack/recce aircraft. Dassault would have been attracted to the idea of 100% of Mirage F1 export revenue rather than a % of the Sepecat after they bought Breuget.