PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hip Replacement
Thread: Hip Replacement
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2014, 18:34
Phalconphixer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible compromised rudder control?
How about toe brakes?

And as Cavorting Cheetah points out even twisting to climb into a seat puts the hip at great risk from dislocation. At 62 your bones are becoming brittle and more easily broken than those of a 22 year old..

A lot depends on the style of operation carried out; my wife's emergency hip replacement operation used a cementless procedure and she was told quite forcibly under no circumstances to put any weight or strain on her left leg for six weeks; after that period a further 6 to 12 weeks of limited exercise and a full six months elapsed from the date of the operation before she could get permission to fly even as a passenger... even now a full 3 years after the operation, the hip joint can be heard to be clicking especially in cold weather... and she always sets of the metal detectors at airport security and has to submit to a body scan. Even a 12" scar isnt enough to convince the Security people that she's not some mad terrorist...

Where bone cement is used, I understand that limited exercise and physiotherapy is permitted after a couple of days but for a left hip replacement its a case of no driving until cleared by the surgeon.

Hip operations despite their frequency are very expensive, the replacement ball joint is custom machined to the requirements of the individual patient and its all too easy for the new hip to become dislocated; this is the reason surgeons are very specific about recovery periods. With emergency ops such as my wifes, the surgeons select the nearest appropriate stock item; no machining just slap it in, hammer it home. and hope for the best...

On the whole I'd say the timescales you refer to are pretty accurate...