PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORSAIR Vs JAGUAR
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2014, 16:37
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mean the Corsair II. The original Corsair dates back to WW2.

The Jaguar had two engines which has certain advantages. And they had afterburners.
The Corsair had a single engine with no afterburner.
The Jaguar was supersonic while the A-7 was subsonic. The A-7 airframe was not "area ruled", so it was draggy at high subsonic speeds which also resuted in mediocre acceleration.
As for agility, the Corsair had 4.3 G sustained turn performance. I don't know but I understand that Jaguar could sustain 4.5 G

The Corsair was bigger and heavier and carried a larger load a greater distance than the Jaguar, it had a great avionics package, and it was an excellent and very stable bombing platform. For the narrow niche it was designed for, it was absolutely outstanding. The fact that USAF bought and flew a Navy jet spoke volumes all by itself. But its narrow niche was its downfall. Modern military jets needed to be multi-role. The Hornet, which replaced the Corsair in USN service, is the quintessential multi-role fighter.

The Corsair's biggest problem was that it was underpowered and was draggy at high subsonic speeds. (Their pilots' motto was, "It may not be very fast, but it sure is slow.") This was improved when the TF-30 engne was replaced with the TF-41, but thrust and acceleration were still lacking. USN began phasing them out in the mid 80s and the last one was gone shortly after Gulf War 1 in early 1991. The Hornet replaced them.

The Jaguar's main shortcoming was its avionics, especially its navigation and targetting systems. But this was resolved in the mid 90s, which gave Jaguars a new lease on life.

Perhaps the answer lies in the two aircraft's longevity in service wth their primary users. The Jaguar flew in front line service for the UK and France till 2007, 16 years after the Corsair had been retired. To me, that says a lot.

Last edited by KenV; 19th Dec 2014 at 17:09.