PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Favourite flying film?
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2003, 21:58
Iron City

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Aero. read the book, saw the movie, don't know that there was a tee shirt but don't have that. It's definately Banshees in the book. As I recalled the movie used Banshees too....but it has been a long time since I've seen the movie so I stand corrected.

There are parts in the book that never made it to the movie because they were n't photogenic I suppose. One was using F4Us lashed to the flight deck to help dock the boat in Japan. Can't believe Mischener would make that up, but an awful use of airplanes. The rescue helo stuff looked pretty good in the movie but kind of "Hollywoodish" and you can't read the end of the book and not remember it.

For another poster asking about Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, No, not at all like Waldo Pepper. MMINFM is a Comedy with a capital C with flying machine stunts etc mixed in and integral to the simple plot. Lots of early pre-WWI type stuff crashing and splintering around.

The Great Waldo Pepper is an American barnstormer type guy who gets into building a better airplane with his friend, friend crashes, bloodthirsty crowd etc. Pure , simple aviator who flys for the fun of it doesn't see it as as much fun after that. Evil bureaucrats introduce licenses and safety standards, rules ,etc because too many aviators are getting killed. Waldo doesn't like it. It really has some good flying in it and non-aviators could possibly get an idea of things maybe if they wanted to. You can even many times get wife/girlfriend of a certain age to hold still for it because of Robert Redford.