PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex military pilots formate A350s
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2014, 14:05
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
KenV, correct! Low-level tactical formations, either by fast jet or tactical airdrop formations, are flown in an entirely different manner to close formation.

Close formation flat turns are rather more difficult than close formation turns in vic or echelon. As a sprog Hunter pilot, I well recall being No.3 of a 5-ship flat turn through initials at 500ft and 420KIAS running in to RAF Brawdy for the 25th Hunter anniversary flypast - muttering "Do NOT cock this up!" to myself!

As for 'test pilot' definitions, the lady in question certainly is an outstanding ETPS graduate and a TP in the full meaning of the term. That she currently conducts flight tests within the aircraft's allowable flight envelope isn't particularly relevant - one day she might well be in command of an 'A3n0' on its first ever flight!

I used to fly post-maintenance air tests on the VC10K, which had the odd 'exciting moment'. Although some of the test points were outside normal squadron pilots' limits, such as high IAS, high IMN and low IAS handling, that didn't require a 'TP' endorsement, hence we used the term 'air test' pilot.

Last edited by BEagle; 19th Dec 2014 at 14:30.