PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Important British Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2014, 09:32
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To my knowledge the major Pax of the Concordes last flight was german leisure travellers:Costumers of a German travel agency wich succesfully offered an Atlantic roundtrip including being supersonic - some westbound and some eastbound (and opposite for the ship-cruise)!
Flybike, your knowledge is WRONG! I remember the last Concorde commercial flight. Its arrival (along with 2 others immediately before it), televised live from Heathrow, was the last scheduled NY to Lon service flown by Concorde Chief Pilot, Mike Bannister. Nothing at all to do with German tourists! As I said before, you are almost certainly describing the ill fated Paris accident flight.

Reducing from business necessity (and the following tricket-prices) to leisure-travellers (though in the expensive layer) IS a sign of downfall by lesser necessity!
What business use reduction? Apart from those grabbing the last available flights after the end of service was announced, Concorde ticket sales were consistently about 85% to the business sector.

As for a successor it's IMO morely the aim to show what can be done that drives the few plans until now, and one of this is extending the term to 'hitting the space to achieve less traveltime' as I remember.
But the WWW is still quicker and lot cheaper to close deals over, hence supersonic personal transportation is dead IMO!
I can't make much sense of this. But what I can make out of it leads me to suspect that if you were in charge of roads we'd still have the man with a red flag preceding every vehicle.

The demise of supersonic pax travel has to be temporary. It used to take 3 hours to cross the Atlantic, it now takes about 7 - 8. Such a backwards step in technical achievement is unprecedented and you have to be very pessimistic indeed to believe it will always be like that.

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 19th Dec 2014 at 09:48.