PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Important British Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2014, 08:02
joy ride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of fascinating comments, many thanks. I already know that Britain's aviation industry has produced plenty of superb aircraft throughout all the years of its existence, and for not a single one of these to be included in a list of the "most precedential airplanes of all time" seems to me to be wrong, not just in terms of our national pride, but in terms of historical significance for worldwide aviation.

The history of flight records various attempts by jumping from towers with feather wings, tying oneself to flocks of geese and ascending with gas balloons, and these were usually as fortuitous as they were fatal.

So I think the 4 which really set precedents, based on research, experiment and accumulated wisdom were Mongolfier balloons, Cayley Glider, Ader (or claimants) powered hop, Wrights powered, sustained, controlled flight.

No-one here has agreed or disagreed with these, but in terms of "Setting Precedence" I feel that these demonstrated (after centuries of failed attempts) that flight WAS achievable, and after these 4 any rational person could no longer deny that human flight was now achievable.

Next we have to single out the planes which really and truly set new standards and led to new ways of flying, building, controlling....whatever!

My feeling now is that the British planes on the "25" list should be;

Cayley Glider, first heavier than air machine to carry people aloft and not die! Set ground rules of Aeronautical science used Wright Brothers and all other pioneers.

Supermarine S6b : because it won the Schneider Trophy and led inexorably to the Spitfire and all the other excellent planes, British and Foreign, which used the Merlin engine (so the S6b effectively set the precedent which led to Mustang, Lancaster, Mosquito, Spitfire, Hurricane etc.

Vickers Viscount, heralded jet age

de H Comet, first turbo jet airliner, structural research and improvements

Concorde.

I think these are the 5 British/Anglo-French planes which had the most impact on world aviation, and SHOULD be included on a list of "the 25 most precedential planes of all time"

Anyone agree or disagree?!