PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 18th Dec 2014, 20:47
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A video for the Yuletide season !!!!

Gentlemen, I offer an insight into flying from the base known as Victor during GW1, with respect to the C130K and the crews and support crews of 47 Sqn SF Flight. I have, for various reasons a copy of a DVD entitled "The Gulf Boys 1991". I was told that it was made by the GEs attached to the flight for the duration of Desert Storm. I have had varied discussions with moderators and administrators of PPRUNE, regarding this video, which is an epic of over an hours length, and whether posting it infringes the posting rules. After many such discussions I decided that there is some relevance to this thread in posting the flying sequences used, and, whilst unable to completely anonymise personnel involved ask that my intent to ensure that the lads at Victor are recorded on this thread is seen as honourable, and appropriate. I have no doubt that the "authority" on this edited video would be our fellow poster Chickenlover, who probably has the full copy of the DVD as I do. It's Albert doing SF Ops in GW1, the quality is 1991 video tape, and apart from the star (Albert) has been edited to preserve anonymity for those involved. Apart from the general Low level type flying, the points that are really good to see are towards the end when the approach to Kuwait through the burning oilfields is recorded, and also the FARP operation at Kuwait Airport, which I believe may be the first aircraft, captained by AH, which kept many helicopters going. Brief but important records of the K's service. Sorry for the long preamble, I hope that what's left is of interest.

Credits are due to my former colleagues (GEs and Crews) who made the original. A thanks to the ex C130 admin for his input and also the advice of AA62 on how to go about it. Top thanks to PaulEMB, someone who follows the thread and is a wizard of video editing. He also has some good experience of Albert flying from Thorney as an ATC Cadet. I have managed to post this on YouTube for ease of viewing, I do not believe that it in anyway compromises either personal or operational security. I invite anyone who may take exception to my posting to PM me and I will certainly respect their opinion. It's not my video, I have credited what I believe is the maker. I was not there, though only by "accident". This is Albert, being operated in its natural environment by professionals, whose work should be recorded as part of this thread, I hope that some of this video is new to some, and worthy of the thread. Despite its being on YouTube, it is only accessible to those with the following link, assuming that only those with an interest lurk here, we should have no worries.

http://youtu.be/DfFA4wSXjh4

Enjoy, and Chickenlover, perhaps you could fill in on some of it. Finally, if you can link to Youtube on your biggest TV, it seems better quality.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 18th Dec 2014 at 20:57. Reason: Additional info