PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADHD, medication and class 1 medical
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2014, 20:12
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a cut and paste from a South African aviation website that dealt with much the same topics. The relevance is limited but perhaps it's of interest?

Re: Re: ADHD / Concerta / CAA - verdict
Unread postby henkbo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:57 am

I have been officially notified by CAA that ADHD is a disqualifying condition for all classes. I applied for Class 4 (had a Class1) and was categorically told in writing that I do not qualify. I have given notice that I will appeal the decision - only problem is now it is going to cost me R1,800 just to have it reviewed. That excludes all the additional medical costs now to try and show the Medical Review Board that you are NOT a danger to anyone. I went solo already busy with PPL flying out of FACT - and the flying school would have not allowed me to go solo if I was not competent!

I am not even sure if I am now allowed to fly a kite within 10nm radius of a registered airfield....

So my advice for anyone who wants to fly and suspect they have ADHD - stay away from the prescription pills.

Also - don't mention anything about ADHD....just make sure you have systems in place to stay focused.
henkbo
Flight Planning

Re: ADHD / Concerta / CAA - verdict
Unread postby erasmus » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Henkbo do you really have ADHD? I cannot believe that a true ADHD sufferer would be able to even start an aeroplane, go through all the checklists and for example taxi it safely and you have gone solo and progressed well. You will do yourself a good favour to get other opinions, two or even three from different respected psychologists or psychiatrists about your diagnosis which looks just wrong to me (but I am a layperson so it is just an observation). Too many cases of ADHD are not true and it destroys people's lives while they are actually quite normal on the personality spectrum. People are too quick to label a learning difficulty with ADHD. Fact is to learn anything is just really hard work and to learn to focus is a skill you have to develop. Today's society is on a slippery path of quick fixes and pill popping and goodness knows where it will end. Just the fact that you could go solo means you can focus intensely, and a real ADHD sufferer cannot - not even on medication.
Landing is a controlled collision with a planet.
erasmus
Power on stall

Unread postby slysi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Trouble is that the SACAA has a list of drugs that disqualify you immediately. I think we can debate till we are blue in the face about a condition/drug that MAY impact your flying ability. Some of these drugs improve your life but this is not taken into account by the SACAA, if they are on the list and you take them then you are unfit to fly.

I am expecting the same outcome on Tuesday but will then take advice to come off my pills, if possible. Alternatively change the treatment to the "approved" SSRI's. If one does this when can one reapply for medical clearance?
Simon Hebron
Pilot in Training
slysi
HASSELL checks

Re: Re: ADHD / Concerta / CAA - verdict
Unread postby JarrydZ » Tue May 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Just to bring this thread back to life, was there ever a SAFE (even homeopathic) alternative medicine found for people that suffer from concentration problems?
Smoke on, Go!
JarrydZ
Rolling

Unread postby Flymed » Wed May 14, 2014 7:51 am

Methylphenidate is probably the safest. The problem is that all of these drugs by necessity works directly on the brain matter, and therein lies the problem. Side effects are therefore unpredictable and may even be the total reverse from what is expected.
Homeopathics on the other-hand may be of the worst possible drugs to take because these compounds were in most cases never really studied and no data is or was collected into a data-bank for reference when needed. In most cases the full chemical composition is also not known. ICAO say that all homeopathics are undesirable, mostly based on the above reason.
Cloud level creates clarity and respect.
Flymed
Frequent AvComer

Location: Intercare Glenfair Boulevard, Cnr of Lynnwood and Daventry,Lynnwood Manor, Pretoria 012 3688800
Unread postby Superfueler » Wed May 28, 2014 3:52 pm

Such hipocracy, Concerta no, Ritalin no, any stimulant ,no but in the airforce (the UK and the US at least...they dole out Amphetamines as "go Pills" and tranqs as "no go " pills to bring you to sleep. Amphetamines are to Ritalin like Rocket Fuel in comparison with highly addictive properties.
Superfueler
Frequent AvComer

Unread postby Flymed » Thu May 29, 2014 8:21 am

Superfueler wrote:
Such hipocracy, Concerta no, Ritalin no, any stimulant ,no but in the airforce (the UK and the US at least...they dole out Amphetamines as "go Pills" and tranqs as "no go " pills to bring you to sleep. Amphetamines are to Ritalin like Rocket Fuel in comparison with highly addictive properties.

Only if you refer to the Vietnam war. No Amphetamines are dished out anywhere.