PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG/Aer Lingus
Thread: IAG/Aer Lingus
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2014, 20:08
Just a spotter

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Una Due Tfc
I wonder if there's an element of WW trying to fill in that chip in his shoulder. IIRC, he left EI a a very frustrated man.
I suspect that any such frustration was caused by the former Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Bertie Ahern's interference in the restructuring and planned initial public offering (IPO/flotation) of shares in the airline under WW's watch.

Ahern refuses to withdraw comment about Willie Walsh | BreakingNews.ie

I recall watching news footage on the day when Ahern stood up in the Dáil (Parliament) and denounced the Aer Lingus management for offering to purchase the company as the process was being dragged out by delaying tactics. It was pretty shocking stuff, given that it was believed that the government was actively delaying the process in order to protect votes in the constituency around Dublin Airport.

Beyond that, I still can't see a business case for IAG to purchase a small European operator such as EI. Apart from the Heathrow slots what does it add to the IAG offering? There's no large demographic catchment, no unique routes or special access arrangements. Very little, if anything by way of "synergies". Sure EI feeds some traffic into Heathrow, but IAG don't need to buy it to protect the traffic. To my mind it can only be one of two business propositions; a) to own & use the slots or b) to prevent someone else getting them. At a stretch, I suppose one could argue the case that it grows market share in Europe and is a step on the long heralded consolidation in the industry. If the model in the US is the template then it's arguable that isn't necessarily a good thing either.

JAS