PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2014, 09:20
ILS25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone saw that bloke Quintin Oliver giving off about how the emergency was handled by the airport. What planet is that guy on ?

Does Mr Oliver think that the airport has dozens of staff milling around every day for the sole reason of dealing with an emergency. Yes the airport fire and rescue service are there for that and are the first response. However they are not there to get passengers from the scene of the incident over to the nice warm terminal, their primary objective is to ensure there is no risk of fire or danger to life.

Mr Oliver was rattling on about how it took X amount of minutes for the police to arrive, X amount of minutes for catering etc. I think he needs to understand that a plan of action takes a bit of time. The airport had less than 10 minutes notice that there was an emergency, at this point communications would have to be relayed to staff who I'm sure are scattered throughout quite a large site doing their normal day to day duties to ensure safe and smooth running of normal operations.

When an emergency occurs an airport does not say "right everyone out" and close it's doors. It still has a duty of care for the people and passengers who are in the building and the airlines it serves, it cannot divert ALL it's resources to those involved in the emergency. However I would think that the situation would be closely monitored by the airport and the level of response would be decided upon accordingly.

If I had have been on that flight I wouldn't be complaining about having to stand out on the runway for a while on a rainy evening or having to wait for a bit of food to arrive.

At the end of the day everyone was safe and got home without major injury and I would like to congratulate the flybe crew and all the staff at BIA for a job well done !

As for Quintin Oliver and his expected "5 Star service" I'm sure a day at Antrim A&E would open his eyes.
Maybe if he is unfortunate enough to be involved in any kind of emergency situation again he can call for a private emergency response team that can see to him personally, give him a 5 star service and make sure he is home in time for his dinner !!

Last edited by ILS25; 19th Dec 2014 at 12:39.