PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2014, 22:21
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertS975
The stall warning system shuts down at slower airspeeds.
That's an inaccurate statement. The SW system is active at all times - but it can't function without valid data from the AoA vanes, and the AoA vanes are only certified to operate above 60kts IAS. The ADRs treat AoA data as invalid below that IAS, but the knock-on effect on the SW system was likely unforeseen.

As QA380 said:
Originally Posted by Qantas_A380
I doubt anyone envisaged a pilot pulling up so far into a stall that the airspeeds would make the SW system unreliable.
Originally Posted by rudderrudderrat
I wish they had gone further and insisted on a hand vibrator through the side sticks as well.
It might have helped, but the truth is that the tactile shaker has also been ignored or disregarded on a significant number of occasions in the past.

Originally Posted by Winnerhofer
So does the B77W do it better?
Different scenario entirely (failed IR accelerometers in the ADIRU - air data was OK). Indicated airspeed never dropped below 158kts. It's been pointed out repeatedly on earlier threads that other manufacturers have been very quiet on the subject of what invalid AoA data will do to their SW systems, which I suspect indicates that the result (SW cessation) would be similar on other types.

Originally Posted by roulishollandais
In France Regulators, Airlines, Airbus are connected and not independant
Rubbish. The French state currently holds less than a 12% stake in Airbus Group (formerly EADS): Airbus Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia