PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight planned alternate
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2014, 19:54
StillDark&Hungry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few years ago I was using up some Diamond Club miles and flew from KSFO to EGLL, luckily towards the front of the aircraft

We were originally booked on the lunchtime departure but, unfortunately, due bad weather had missed our connection. Thankfully good old UAL put us on the evening departure in the same cabin

We took off 30 mins late but were told by the crew we would get good tailwinds and be at EGLL ahead of schedule.

I was somewhat surprised to see us coast in over LND 15 minutes later than we should have landed but thought nothing more of it until, whilst in the OCK hold, noticed our destination airfield "jump" on the moving map!

20 or so minutes later we became, I believe, the first UAL B777 to land at EGKK.

Upon returning to work a day or so later, I was told our diversion apparently caused quite a stir even though it was our flight planned alternate - but not as much of a stir as it was to get someone to refuel the plane and then allow us to fly back to EGLL!!

From memory we finally disembarked at about 1930 some 5 hours after we should have done, and, 12 hours after we could have done if we had got on the right plane - Thank God they had plenty of Champagne on board