PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A 110 Sqdn Sycamore taking up 'A 5 Star' rank at Changi 1962
Old 17th Dec 2014, 19:07
Postfade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael Hingston wrote a book in 2011 called 'Renegrade Hero- The true story of RAF pilot Terry Peet and his clandestine mercy flying with the CIA'.
Although most of the book is about his years in the Congo, there's a fascinating chapter on his time flying Sycamores with 110. Terry spent I believe 2 tours flying Sycamores from Butterworth, starting in December 1961 and he got it extended into 1964. Pilot Officer Peet got trained on going into a difficult jungle clearing called 'Bongsu' and checked out by the squadron's training officer Bill Barrel. Once cleared he carried out all the variety trips into small LV's and casevacs that you in 110 Sqdn used to do. We all I guess know the difficulties faced doing that sort of thing in an underpowered Sycamore, also rather prone to shaking itself to pieces on it's tri-cycle undercarriage on landing!
On 9th July '62 in XJ382, he survived an engine fire over the jungle when carrying 3 Gurkhas and at the end of January '64 he lost his tail rotor and managed to make a descent by using throttle and collective, madly trying to control the helicopters wild rotation with no tail rotor. Although Terry got down, unfortunately Flt Lt Blackwood, coming to the crash site in XG519 the next day also crashed and was injured.
The last section in the book dealing with his time with 110 mentions him ferrying ACM 'Paddy' Earl of Bandon about during the Malaysian Federation talks. So that sort of links him to the photo in my post...except this can't have been 1962 when I took the photo, but later. I guess I agree that Mountbatten is the best bet for the '5 Star' VIP.
So I must get to look at the 110 Sqdn Form 540 again to sort this out.
David