PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near collision over Sweden
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2014, 15:30
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason Swedish agencies are concerned about this Russian military aircraft activity is, as stated, the pollitical implications. I am a bit surprised when F-16GUY seem to implicate that the Danish take this event lightly, I hope I misunderstood. It is serious business to have military equipment trawling around in busy airspace without alerting anyone. This is not only about aircraft safety. I do not know if Russian military planes have the ability to see our civilian jets without being seen themselves. I for sure hope they do because then the imminent danger to both aircrafts would be somewhat reduced. As someone said - a mid air collision with an A320 and some Ilyushin snooper would surely be portrayed as "evil Western countries deliberately taking out innocent Russians".

glendalegoon:
Maybe its time Sweden put its neutrality behind it and choose up sides.
This would be an easy solution for the US, I am sure. I won't go into long discussions about it now, but due to our geographical position it isn't that easy for us Swedes. Sweden is not as big as the US, nor are we as dominant as the UK. We are not rich like Germany or stubbornly proud as France. Thus we just can't afford it because we're stuck between a rock and a hard place, politically.

Someone asked about Japan. I would like to know how the activity has been in Alaska these days. Anyone who knows?