PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 17th Dec 2014, 08:58
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AA62,

Thanks for that, always a pleasure to see the rascal on tour. As for my wishes an ACC would go down nicely at the moment. Thinking of which, a story from the galley might make you chuckle. As we spent a lot of time away the GEs had a standard in flight meals selection which our boss would use when allocating us to a route. It was not unusual to arrive back from St Johns one night, and depart for Gander the next morning with a different crew. I was one of two GEs accompanying two aircraft through Tancos to Gibraltar returning to Lyneham, and it was around lunchtime as we arrived at Gib. My standard meals request of AA and an ACC was loaded, I had eaten breakfast outbound and was looking forward to the main meal on the way home. On landing, the other aircraft had an hydraulic snag, which, whilst not a stopper, could require a diversion if it developed and got worse. The other GE was an ex Avionics tradesman, and not comfortable with the thought of a "heavy trade" diversion, so suggested that we swap aircraft so that I would accompany the faulty aircraft back to Lyneham. It made sense, so we swapped. As there was some clean up to do, my original airframe and crew picked up the departure slot for the first aircraft, and duly taxied out. They lined up, slowly taxied down and returned to the parking slot. My mate the other GE jumped out, fuming. He had found out my meal was an ACC, which he hated, and convinced the crew to taxy back to parking to swap the meals. I have never seen before or since an aircraft abort a take off because of a Chicken Curry. On the Crimble Cards scene, this, by I believe Patricia Rielly is a cracker, I'm sure many will have a copy.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 17th Dec 2014 at 08:59. Reason: Spelling