PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2014, 05:22
lincolnjt41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAAF Assessment session medical

Hey guys,

I have read this forum until my eyes feel like bleeding and have found some fantastic information. I have recently completed the assessment session and thought I would share my two cents worth. Things went very well until at the end of the day I had to see the medical examiners. This started off with discussing the medical history questionnaire in which you complete at your YOU session. And as of two years ago I had glandular fever. When asked about it, I told the doctor I had it roughly over a year ago.

She immediately typed this down and proceeded to tell me this would be an issue and I may be deemed class 4 (permanently unfit). After realising the ramifications of what I had said, I suitably thought a little harder about how long I had been symptom free - this was exactly 1 year and ten months. But what I said first was taken as cold hard truth and has taken precedence over my official medical history at my local surgery. Luckily, I only have to wait another 5 months until I can proceed to go into the pool for flight screening (a magic number the doctor thought suited). So moral of the story, don't be unprepared like me and not know exact times that you have had any serious sicknesses in the past, because that seemingly harmless conversation could end your career before it even starts.

Lincoln,

Also, what happened to hornet boy?!