PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I think I'm barred from flying any plane, ever :(
Old 17th Dec 2014, 03:53
Ramjet555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe it is appropriate for anyone to be peeing in your pocket and telling you its not wet.

I've seen some very serious disablements occur and then go flying. I can think of one Transport Canada inspector who had a heart attack and within a few weeks he was back flying.. That blew me away.

Unfortunately, your odds of passing a medical in the future are on the very low side to remote.

On the basis of your information it would knock you out of a First Class FAA medical automatically and in Canada it would take some very convincing EXPERT opinion to be provided to the Doctors at Transport Canada who would give it a very close look.

The good news is at least you can admit you had or have a problem. The most serious mental health problems are where it is unrecognized.

We all have to assess ourselves or ask someone to assess us if and when we are under stress.

Sharing with your co-pilot of captain that you are under a great deal of stress for example gives the other crew member an opportunity to watch you carefully and if need, send you home.

I've seen many pilots "sent home" and it is accepted that for short periods of time even months or years if there is no mediation of self excluding from work to get over what is called
"Reactive Disorders".

When you are on anti-depressant medication for over 3 months , it does place you in a more difficult category. When its over a year, what does 2 years matter?

While I would never rule out a return to flying commercially, you could, if you pass yourself , get another opinion, then go for the Expert Medical opinion that will cost you for a shot at it.

On what you provided, your chances of getting a Class One Medical in any country is on the very low probability scale.

For your own interest, and decision making, assess yourself carefully, then get an objective opinion from a flight instructor of how you are performing practically and then its off to the shrink and it better be one that the TC Doctors will accept.

Your next problem be validating the expert's qualifications and experience. Not every professional will be acceptable.

If you are in Toronto the CMIH is a good place to start.

The bottom line for all pilots is, don't be sucked in to addictive unnecessary medications that can destroy your medical.

Do NOT take vitamin or herbal supplements unless you carefully research and get expert advice.

Sleep Supplements like Melatonin are dangerous hormones that can trigger serious mental health problems. The dosage recommended at the health food store per tablet is 5 x the recommended dosage and in excess its guaranteed to cause bad side effects.