PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need advice for starting a career in Aircraft Maintenance!!!
Old 16th Dec 2014, 16:20
Sahill1994

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice for starting a career in Aircraft Maintenance!!!

Afternoon all.
I want some advice on what to do in my current situation in trying to start a career in Aircraft Maintenance. I’m 20 years old; I’ve completed a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Aerospace Engineering back in July 2013. However, since finishing my course I have been finding it quite difficult trying to get into the industry or get any work experience. I have a D grade in English Language but a C grade English Literature, C grade in Maths and a Double Science Award (x2 B’s).

I’ve applied for many apprenticeship schemes earlier this year: British Airways, Monarch Aircraft Engineering Limited, Airbus, BAE Systems, and QinetiQ. Most of these companies have accepted me for the initial assessment, with the exception of Airbus and BA, but I haven’t been successful getting past this stage and being invited for a 2nd interview.

I’m currently doing an English GCSE night course to get my English grade sorted and want to try apprenticeships again next year. However, most apprenticeship schemes seem to prefer taking 16-18 year olds onboard who just finished school. Would I really have a slight disadvantage being 20 year olds and already completed a level 3 course when applying for apprenticeships again????

I’ve also tried contacting small aircraft maintenance companies in hopes to get practical work experience but not much luck getting feedback I have also contemplated about the Approved IR Part 66 Category B course with Air Service Training in Perth, Scotland. Would anyone consider this as a good alternative to the apprenticeship route and would it help get me into an aircraft mechanic position???

It would be very appreciated if anyone could give me some guidance/ advice on what to do as I have a strong passion for this career and want to take the right steps into starting it.