PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC work/life balance
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2014, 08:31
LeftBlank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD you were lucky but don't mislead the youth of today.Your and kcockaynes world no longer exists.Over-regulation,privatisation,non-aviation itinerant management and the bottom dollar have changed everything in the industry.
I agree with Plazbot even if your Christmasses were subject to a draw if means someone was unlucky and perhaps someone was selfish in not giving up the odd one.31 off is incredible&couldn't happen now.I stand corrected if there was no-one at your unit who ever wanted a Christmas off.
I've worked in the real world and ATC- both have good and bad points.The life of an ATCO is great in your 20s and early 30s.After that family life&responsibilities take a knock as all those 0500 starts and Night shifts take their toll.Co-ordinating your wife's time off with yours and school holidays becomes an issue.Missed birthdays and missed anniversaries and school functions because you can't get leave lead to ill feeling.You learn to take the rough with smooth. It is a good career but it is not the walk in the park some on here would have you believe.