PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 to be discontinued?
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2014, 08:28
KelvinD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand this fixation here and on other forums with this "hub operation only" mindset.
All of the arguments against the A380 seem to revolve around revenue to be made or lost on these hub vs point to point services.
This is forgetting the thinking at the time aircraft like the A380 were first conceived; governments are going to start pushing airlines into operating fewer services carrying the same number of passengers. As the environment becomes a bigger factor in politics, particularly in Europe, I think there will be a lot of pressure to reduce flight frequencies and that can be done only by employing larger aircraft.
Looking at departures from Heathrow today show something like 2,700 seats going to Amsterdam on 20 flights. using 5 or 6 A380 on this route would please the environmental lobby no end.
Departures to Frankfurt show similar numbers so using A380s on both these routes would mean something like 10 movements per day between them, compared to the current 36.
Flights to New York by BA alone today will have something like 2900 seats on 11 flights. That could be reduced to 7 A380 flights.
And so it goes on.
I am not arguing pro or con here but I can see governments being pushed into limiting movement numbers and the A380 (or something similar) would be an ideal aircraft for this role.