PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A 110 Sqdn Sycamore taking up 'A 5 Star' rank at Changi 1962
Old 16th Dec 2014, 06:05
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
XL822 was finally written off in Borneo on 8 May 1963. During recovery operations for a Belvedere, the Sycamore was approaching a clearing when the engine suffered a partial failure. The pilot: M/P Eric Leyden, carried out a forced landing but a tree stump got in the way and a main wheel struck it, causing the aircraft to turn over.

Eric was awarded a QCVSA and was subsequently commissioned and did his QHI course in early 1966. Unfortunately, Eric was killed when a pair of Wessex collided over the airfield at Odiham. in Nov 70.

As to the identity of the five star, I suggest the 110 Sqn or RAF Changi Forms 540 will tell the story. As a long shot, ask the bloke who's saluting!

I had my last trip in a Sycamore on to that very same landing pad, when M/P Ray Rowe took me from Seletar to Changi. I was due at HQFEAF for an interview without coffee, having come over from Labuan. The interview was probably the most bizarre I have ever had. I did not see the great man who was to deliver same. I was made to stand at attention in an outer office and a Wg Cdr scuttled in and out with the words of the great man on his lips and returned to the inner sanctum with any comments/responses I made. The final words from said Wg Cdr, which were uttered after I had told him where I was to be posted, were: ' I'll get that stopped Old Duffer and shall follow your career, what's left of it, with interest - now get out'.

Sorry for drifting the Thread. My anger at being accused of something I had not done but merely revealed the situation, soon turned to hilarity, once refreshment had been taken in the Seletar bar that evening - but that's another story!

Old Duffer