PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Outrageous.... or not?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2014, 21:42
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to throw in in another way to look at this, there is more than one reason the SNP want rid of the tridents.
It's very nice of the SNP to wave a morale flag and say no Nukes here, but quietly talk of joining NATO.

Some posters see the SNP line about Faslane as being similar to Valley in that the politicos will complain, but wouldn't want to lose the MOD money in the area, and that the area may become poorer with a sub base there. The SNP on the other hand are saying that the sub base is keeping the area poor, and that once it's gone the Scots will be able to open up new oil fields in the area in bring in vast amounts of long term revenue.

I can't say for sure what would happen if the base was closed, but I do remember one pre referendum interview on TV where viewers were told that 'London' were trying to dupe the Scots and that an independent survey had shown vast oil reserves that the MOD had banned the Scots from exploiting due to the proximity to the sub base. Viewers were urged to look up the survey, which I did, only to find it was the website for an offshore recruiter offering jobs to oil workers. I concluded that the site wasn't all that independent