PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crusader pilots
Thread: Crusader pilots
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2014, 15:48
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my dad and reading...

Tom

My dad was a US Navy fighter pilot for many years. He flew F8's in the early sixties before transitioning to the F4. It's safe to say he did not like the F8 very much.

The F8 was designed in an era when the plan was to launch hordes of fighters at the hordes of Russian/Soviet bombers, launch missiles (even it it was "the last of the gunfighters" at the time), and return. The F8 was very fast, but not very maneuverable. It's my understanding the F4 was slightly slower* and more maneuverable while the F14 again slightly slower than its predecessor but much, much more maneuverable.

My dad said the term "departed" was invented for the F8. You could be in straight/level flight and suddenly find yourself going backwards with combustion literally blown out.

No autopilot. Navigating required holding the stick with your knees to spread out a chart. The radio was located far enough aft that you had to count clicks to change frequency.

My recollection is reading that the Navy bought 1300 of them and only had 200 left at retirement.

My take? Strongest virtue: wicked fast. Biggest vice: wicked.

My dad never indicated that he missed flying the F8. Ever.

Terry

*In service, not talking about anything tweaked for records.

Last edited by LTCTerry; 15th Dec 2014 at 18:00. Reason: Missing phrase added.