PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doing the right thing?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2014, 15:27
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
BB
That is indeed the type of hypocrisy that I speak of. Tell you about the London Cage? It seems to me it would be more appropriate for you to tell us. All I can garnish is from that pillar of truth (bit of a Brit in-joke there, sorry), the Daily Mail:-
How Britain tortured Nazi PoWs: The horrifying interrogation methods that belie our proud boast that we fought a clean war | Daily Mail Online
It seems that is what you refer to, or was there worse than that? Either way I can't see any possible justification for it. Most of the complaints seem to come from captured German War criminals where there was more than enough evidence to hang them anyway. I must admit though that one complainant was a German anti Nazi refugee who had some justification for doing so. On the whole though I would characterise most of it as unjustifiable rough handling rather than torture per se, but then that is the default position of all called upon to justify the mishandling of prisoners so I concede your point.
Those responsible should have been charged, but of course they weren't. Were they acting under orders or merely abusing the power over those that they sought to interrogate? Such treatment was counter productive in my view, what good did any of it do us? What good does it do us now rather than make more people hate us and plan their revenge?
You are right, the London Cage scandal apparently shows us to be hypocrites. So what? Time we learned to be different.