PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doing the right thing?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2014, 14:36
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
BB:-
All you see is some abstract moral construct of your own making and nothing matters to you beyond trying to force your own views on everyone else.
Well, wrong there on all counts old man. Hempy's "abstract moral construct" is not solely of his making but shared with many others, myself included. No-one is forcing anybody to do anything or not to do anything, save for the legal restraints pertaining and one's own sense of what is right and what is wrong. In the UK torture is against the law, both civil and military (or was in my day, but that was of course many years ago. Has it changed?).

As has been alluded to here already, there are many ways to skin a cat. The processes of secrecy, deception, and monitoring helped us to win WW2, rather than resorting to a policy of torture. It was the opposite for the enemy. We did things differently to them and prevailed. If torture is official US policy then I suggest that is another thing that divides us, as well as a common language.

You may well agree with others that the Brits outshine all others in hypocrisy. When the lid is finally levered off this particular can you will possibly be proved right. There has been a lot of that here lately, and no doubt much more to come. No-one here can assume a holier than thou stance about anything, but we need to get back to being ourselves rather than assuming the mores and customs of others, be they friend or foe.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 15th Dec 2014 at 14:51.