PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde- Let her fly on
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2003, 08:30
NW1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ozzy

Partly right - I would like to see the fleet fly out to its potential.

But your 747 analogy (and more so the Windows thing) is a non sequitur.

However, I still don't see a good rebuttle to my previous post. If Boeing were to say, "Okay we no longer sell or support 747s" as a leverage point to increase sales of newer design - would the airline operators accept this as BA and AF have accepted the Airbus position re Concorde
You are starting from a false assumption - this is NOT the Airbus position. How can you imagine Airbus might be able to use the ditching of Concorde "to increase sales of a newer design" as you claim? Do you really think Airbus would imagine that BA or AF would grab the 'phone and order up fleets of Airbi on hearing that Concorde's days were ended? Of course not - there is no such lever simply because there is nothing anywhere to replace them, and the comparison between the commercial situation of the maintenance and operation of Concorde and 747 types is absurd.

There are hundreds more 747s than Concordes. Many, many airlines operate 747s; but only 2 fly Concordes (and one has load factors in single percentage points). 747s are still in production, and have been developed on to be a 21st Century aircraft using 21st century techniques and technology; but there are a mere 9 airworthy Concordes on the planet, the jigs were destroyed decades ago and engineers need to be expert with 1950/60's technology and techniques - using skills and knowlege quickly receding into history, and the manufacturer needs to guarantee these components and the costs of doing this are rising exponentially - the 747 maintenance and support operation is modern, cost effective and well established. Its like comparing a 1930s Le Mans Bentley with a Vauxhall Vectra. I know which I'd rather drive to work next time, but a time and money comparison should convince you which one to equip your taxi rank with (clue: ring up Vauxhall and ask them for a price on a new head gasket for a 1999 Vectra, now try the same thing for the Bentley.... now do it for a commercial transport operation....)

The other thing you need to remember is that the Concorde is and always was a bi-national operation tied up in acres of legal contacts. Both sides of the channel are needed - BA cannot sanction another operator to go it alone, it is simply not in their power to do so even if the price made it worth their while (and investment). Which it wouldn't.