PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - advice for a BA cadet with 200 hours
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2001, 23:44
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 206 Likes on 73 Posts
Exclamation

Tosh McCaber - As I read the original post the writer was seeking multi engine flying OTHER than hiring his own aircraft. Hence free hours by working for free.

I said " You HAVE to be joking..?! As far as free multi hours are concerned you have a better chance of winning the lottery.

Seriously. "

Thats hardly sticking the boot in - is it? He does have to be joking. OK OK I could have phrased it better I agree. But the fact is that my analysis was/is correct. And saying that someone is Joking is not very nasty in my book.

I have several good friends buzzing about in light twin GA and the LAST thing they need is some ex-BA cadet pitching up offering to do their job for free. They are Wannabes just as much as SenecaSoarer is for the moment... They will have the Vref +50 attitude because that is human nature and they don't have the luxury of largesse.

SenecaSoarer I am very glad indeed that my posts have helped you out over the years. Occassional words of thanks give me a really nice feeling. Cheers.

I have been fielding calls from several ex-airline cadets this last week or so. Most are either chopped or expecting the chop and are seeking help. I am helping them get interviews where I can in my own company. I am also fielding about two dozen Wannabe emails a day at the moment and am actively trying to match people to a few flying instructor jobs I have found out about. I think I am doing my bit to help out Wannabes in strife. What are you actually doing...?

tugtishu - Well I seem to have got right up your nose. If I am on a pedestal then I didn't put myself there. Although I really don't see what a slightly sad compulsion to help Wannabes merits any pedestal installing...

LAVDUMPER - easy question to which you have the wrong answer you idiot. THe last thing he needs is a £4,500 loan for a FI rating which will only pay enough for repayment in about 3 years during which he will learn lots of bad GA habits that BA will have to stamp out in the eventual Sim course. And er.. do you actually know what the hiring market is like at the moment for green FI's as we enter late Autumn? No, of course you don't you big dumb Yank because unlike me - a JAA Commercial Flying Instructor - you don't speak to FI's who - for example - got layed off this week from Tayside Aviation due to nobody booking courses. So wind your neck in. Given the fact that SeneccaSoarer will probably get into BA in 2 years time, then wait 5 years before he can bid for 777 then get his bid and wait 1 year for a seat to become availble then when he does eventually sail past and above me on his redeye bullet to DivorceVille I shall look up and consider my years of Command under my belt and my Captains salary and wish him bon voyage. As you ask. You prat.

fruitbat - Nothing has happened to me. I am still giving the soundest advice I can think of. I will admit my original reply was not the most balanced or constructive I've ever made but - hell - I am up to my neck in Wannabe helping at the moment and so I was kind of brief. To be honest SenneccaSoarers predicament is a walk in the park compared to many peoples and hence my brusqueness. As for learning to give something back - umm, who has donw more than me?

FL395 - sorry, I've been too busy half the weekend trying to bail out a load of Dublin Aer Lingus cadets who got grounded recently to form a perfectly formed balanced suggestion to SeneccaSoarers query...

So, yep - hands up - sorry SenneccaSoarer I was a bit rude in my original post. Don't *think* I deserved a good kicking though...!

Good luck, I hope your wait for BA will be short.

Cheers,