PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another FOI waste of time?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2014, 10:05
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Some while ago I was asked by an MP to prepare a report into an accident.

As required under the OSA, I immediately advised MoD of this to give them the opportunity to comment/object. Their only comment was that should I wish to quote from a very specific investigative report I should formally seek a copy under FOI. This was done, and they denied all knowledge of it, despite me naming the author and 6 main recipients! I sought legal advice and was assured I could quote the report (or, to be precise, the evidence to the investigator) as MoD had dug a hole for themselves by lying.

Upon completion, I submitted the complete report expecting extensive demands for redaction or removal; especially relating to this investigation. But no, not a single request, despite it naming staffs who had committed grave offences, including withholding details of the above investigation from both BoI and Coroner.

Make of this what you will. My conclusions were (a) the FOI system is in disarray to a laughable extent, (b) MoD are primarily concerned with protecting certain individuals, yet (c) wholly unconcerned over it being revealed publicly that their staff commit serious offences, directly linked to deaths of Servicemen.

Oh what fun it is to......